Candlelight Becomes Contraband Under Security Law

Hong Kong judges declared two Tiananmen vigil organizers guilty of “inciting subversion,” turning a candlelight memorial into a national security crime.

Story Snapshot

  • Judges convicted Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung of inciting subversion under Hong Kong’s security law.
  • The pair had pleaded not guilty and face up to 10 years in prison if sentenced at the maximum.
  • Earlier this year, a panel ruled there was a case to answer based on prosecution evidence.
  • Rights groups call the trial a punishment for peaceful remembrance of June 4.

What The Court Decided And Why It Matters

On Friday in Hong Kong, a Court of First Instance found Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung guilty of “incitement to subversion.” Judges said the pair used their roles in a now-disbanded alliance to encourage actions seen as challenging state power. The defendants had faced the charge since 2021 and now risk up to a decade in prison. The ruling shows how the national security law reaches beyond protests to target slogans, organizing, and public remembrance tied to political change.

In March, a panel of national security judges said there was a case to answer, signaling the strength they saw in the prosecution’s file. The trial followed years of tighter limits on Hong Kong’s civil space. Controls that started with pandemic rules on gatherings later shifted into security policing of speech, assembly, and organization. The alliance that ran the annual Tiananmen vigil disbanded under pressure, yet its leaders faced organization-level liability for messages that authorities framed as subversive.

How The Defense Framed The Case

Chow argued that her aim was remembrance, not revolt. She told the court she sought to “incite others not to forget June 4,” not to push an illegal gathering or overthrow. In closing remarks, she said prosecutors flipped right and wrong by treating truth-telling as hatred and calls for limits on power as subversion. She also urged a narrower legal reading of subversion, focused on rapid, abnormal change driven by outside forces, which she said did not fit her acts.

Advocacy groups described the case as criminalizing peaceful commemoration. Amnesty International called for immediate release, saying honoring victims of abuses is compassionate, not criminal. Those statements reflect a wider rights critique of the security regime but do not bind the court. The judges grounded their verdict in the defendants’ leadership roles and public messaging, which they found encouraged others to undermine state power under the law’s broad terms.

Why This Verdict Resonates Beyond Hong Kong

The case fits a larger shift since 2020. Researchers at Georgetown and other bodies have traced how Hong Kong’s national security law reshaped civic life. Arrests, self-censorship, and group closures followed as the risk of security charges spread from streets to meeting rooms and newsrooms. Experts have called the law a major threat to rights and rule of law since the 1997 handover. This verdict reinforces that trend by tying a long-running memorial to subversion.

For readers in the United States, the stakes are clear. When states blur the line between remembrance and revolt, ordinary people lose trust. Conservatives see elite control crushing dissent. Liberals see power silencing the weak. Both sides fear a system that punishes speech and rewards loyalty. This trial speaks to that shared worry. A court treated candles and slogans as danger. Citizens everywhere should ask where their own red lines are, and who gets to move them.

Sources:

independent.co.uk, abcnews.com, hklabourrights.org, amnesty.org, frontlinedefenders.org, today.rtl.lu, srdefenders.org