
A Portland mother says her local school district banned her from setting foot on campus for a year, and that ban kept her from watching her child walk at graduation.
Quick Take
- Allison Roberts, a Portland mother of two, filed a federal lawsuit against Portland Public Schools on August 12, 2026.
- She says the district barred her from campus for a year after she criticized gender-identity lessons and a pride flag display.
- Court papers claim a district policy blocks parents from getting notice or opting their kids out of certain gender lessons.
- Portland Public Schools has previously said its lessons follow Oregon law and that families can opt out of sex education.
- A 2025 Supreme Court ruling on a similar dispute may shape how this case plays out.
Mother Says Complaints Led to a Yearlong Campus Ban
Allison Roberts says her trouble with Portland Public Schools started after she raised concerns about her children’s elementary school. She pointed to a display of an “Intersex-Inclusive” pride flag and a classroom worksheet that asked her son to identify his gender. She also objected to a school bench painted with LGBTQ+ stripes. After she spoke up, the district issued a trespass notice keeping her off school property for one year.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court as Roberts v. Portland Public Schools, names the district and two school officials. Roberts is represented by the Liberty Justice Center, a nonprofit law firm that says the district retaliated against a parent simply for speaking her mind. The case number is 3:26-cv-01680-SB, filed August 12, 2026.
Complaint Points to a District Policy on Gender Lessons
The lawsuit centers on a specific district rule known as policy 4.30.061-AD, called the Nondisclosure Policy. Court filings say this policy tells school staff to “deny all requests for prior notification and/or student exemptions” from lessons described as “LGBTQ2SIA+ affirming”. Roberts argues this rule stripped her of any say in what her children were taught and punished her for objecting.
Portland Public Schools has a separate policy allowing staff to label people “trespassers” if they stay on school property after being told to leave. District guidance says a trespass notice can keep someone off school grounds for a full year. Roberts says this rule was used against her not for a safety threat, but for raising concerns about curriculum.
District Has Defended Its Curriculum Before
Portland Public Schools has not issued a new statement addressing Roberts’ specific ban, but the district has defended similar lessons in the past. In an earlier statement, a district spokesperson said its health and gender curricula “are aligned and consistent with anti-bias education and Oregon law”. The district also said its lessons aim to make transgender and gender non-conforming students feel safe and included.
The district has also said families have a legal right to opt out of sex education classes. Roberts’ lawsuit does not dispute that general opt-out right for sex ed. Instead, it argues the Nondisclosure Policy specifically blocks opt-outs for lessons framed as gender-identity affirming, which she says is a different and broader category.
Similar Fights Have Reached the Supreme Court
This case follows a pattern seen across the country. In June 2025, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 in Mahmoud v. Taylor that Maryland parents had a right to pull their children out of lessons using LGBTQ-themed storybooks. The justices said blocking that opt-out likely violated the parents’ religious freedom rights. That ruling gives parents like Roberts a stronger legal argument than they may have had a few years ago.
Not every court has agreed that parents have a broad right to remove kids from gender-related lessons. A federal court in Pennsylvania previously found parents have no constitutional right to exempt children from classroom lessons on transgender issues. That split among courts means Roberts’ case could turn on how judges apply the newer Supreme Court ruling to her specific facts.
Federal Investigators Are Also Watching Portland
The Roberts lawsuit is not the only federal scrutiny facing Portland-area schools. The Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights recently opened Title IX investigations tied to gender-identity policies affecting the Portland area, including a look at a policy on gender identity participation in school sports. That separate probe shows the district’s approach to gender policy is drawing attention beyond this one family’s dispute.
Far-left school district threatens permanent ban on mom for protesting gender ideology: lawsuit | Greg Piper, Just The News
Portland Public Schools imposed yearlong trespass order on "liberal" mom for lobbying parents to join transparency crusade, the mother says. SCOTUS… pic.twitter.com/hDIYt6o5Mx
— Owen Gregorian (@OwenGregorian) August 16, 2026
For parents on both sides of this debate, the case raises a basic question about who controls what happens in public schools. Some see Roberts’ ban as proof that districts silence parents who disagree with gender lessons. Others see the underlying curriculum as necessary protection for vulnerable students. The lawsuit, still in its early stages, will test how courts balance those competing claims.
Sources:
nypost.com, kval.com, foxnews.com, katu.com, iheart.com, youtube.com, libertyjusticecenter.org, resources.finalsite.net, city-journal.org, pps.net